Friday, September 2, 2016

His Dark Materials

One thing I love about thrifting books is finding all of the books in a series. And what makes that even better is when they all match. This is the series His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. Cover illustrations are by Alfred A. Knopf.


I originally found the The Golden Compass at McKays a while back. There were a bunch of different versions of all three books, but I liked this cover. I didn't buy the second two because it would be my first time reading it, and I wasn't sure if I would want to continue the series.

Turns out I liked it, so another time we went back to McKays I bought the other two - but I got copies that didn't match (each other or the first book). I just wanted to read it and figured I would never find the matching components so it didn't matter.

Fast forward to when I was halfway through the second book. We were on a trip back to the same store, and The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass were both there, and both in the matching copies! The Golden Compass wasn't there, so it felt like they were there just for me. Since I was enjoying the series and loved these covers I ended up buying these. I later sold my other copies back for store credit.





1. I love the raised/gold title.
2. The background design is cool.
3. The sides!
4. They are trade paperback size, which is my favorite.
5. Because of that, the pages are smoother and the text is easier to read.




I'm so happy I have the matching set! They look great on the shelf, now that I finished reading them.


Happy Thrifting!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment